Resolving Complex Ethical and Multicultural Dilemmas in Psychological Practice Workshop
IMPORTANT: If you are a BCPA Member, please LOGIN to your account before clicking on the Register button below.
Resolving Complex Ethical and Multicultural Dilemmas in Psychologucal Practice Workshop by Dr. Erica Wise
Friday, May 19th, 2017
9:00AM-4:00PM @ University Golf Club House
5185 University Blvd. Vancouver, BC V6T 1X5
Sponsored by Mana Psychological Assessment Group (www.manapsychology.ca)
Early Bird Deadline is February 6th, 2017.
Online Registration Deadline is May 15th, 2017.
*After May 15th, 2017 you can still register by calling BCPA at 604-730-0501.
Register by credit card (RECOMMENDED): scroll to the bottom of the page and click on "Register Now". Please log in before completing the registration form.
Register by cheque: complete this FORM, and mail it to BCPA with a cheque (not post-dated).
* Cheques must be received by BCPA by February 6th, 2017 for the Early Bird and May 15th, 2017 for Regular. Seating is very limited and we highly recommended registering online to ensure your seat.
About the Workshop:
In the practice of psychology, we frequently encounter complex dilemmas that have clinical, ethical, and legal elements. The workshop will begin with a focus on clinical practice vignettes that will allow participants to actively discuss, analyze and resolve these types of situations. A model of ethical decision making will be presented that incorporates emotional, interpersonal and contextual factors. The workshop will then focus on multicultural competence in psychological practice as integral to the provision of high quality services to an increasingly diverse public. We will review strategies for incorporating these competencies into clinical practice through the discussion of challenging multicultural vignettes.
Upon competition of this workshop participants will be able to:
- Describe the philosophical underpinnings of ethics codes and identify applicable sources of guidance for the ethical and legal practice of psychology
- Describe and apply a model of ethical decision making to practice vignettes
- State common considerations in ethical decision making including the identification of competing obligations and the application of judgment rules vs. absolute ethical or legal duties.
- Describe at least 3 key considerations in multiculturally competent practice.
- Describe how an understanding of culture can be incorporated into clinical case conceptualization.
- Apply a multicultural model to clinical case vignettes.
About the Presenter:
Erica H. Wise, Ph.D. is Clinical Professor and Director of the Psychology Training Clinic for the Department of Psychology at UNC Chapel Hill. She teaches doctoral level courses that focus on clinical theory and practice, ethics and diversity. She is a former chair of the APA Ethics Committee and a current member of the APA Board of Educational Affairs. She is past president of NCPA and is co-chair of the NCPA Professional Affairs and Ethics Committee. She is the recipient of the Fifth Annual APA Ethics Committee Award for Outstanding Contributions to Ethics Education and she is a frequent presenter and consultant on ethical issues in clinical psychology. Her professional interests include doctoral education and training, continuing education for psychologists and applications of ethics and self-care in academic and professional practice settings. She strives to incorporate high standards of professional practice and selfcare into all of her endeavors.
This course is worth 6 CPA Continuing Education Credits.
Important Information for Attendees
- Free Parking is available.
- The workshop will take place from 9:00am to 4:00pm.
- Workshop fee includes handouts, morning & afternoon coffee, and lunch.
- Remember to sign out to obtain CE credits for this course.
Cancellations must be received in writing by May 12th, 2017. A 20% administration fee will be deducted from all refunds. No refunds will be given afterMay 12th, 2017.
5185 UNIVERSITY BLVD
Vancouver, BC V6T1X5
|BCPA Members/Affiliates||$ 188.00|
|Regular (Non-Members)||$ 258.00|