Who pays for the services of a Registered Psychologist?

The Medical Services Plan in British Columbia generally does not provide coverage  for the services of Registered Psychologists or Registered Psychological Associates in private practice. Although many clients pay their own fees directly, there may be a number of options for funding and reimbursement available to people who need to see a psychologist.

Extended health plans

Many people who are employed have an extended health care plan through their employer. Many health care plans pay all or a portion of the costs of seeing a Registered Psychologist, up to a limited total each calendar year. Check your benefits coverage or talk to your insurance company to find out about your options and requirements.

Employee Assistance Programs (EAP’s)

Some employers have EAP’s to help employees deal with mental health issues. You may be able to see a psychologist through your EAP. For more information please consult your benefits booklet or talk to your EAP coordinator.

Crime Victim Assistance Program

If you have a mental health concern as a result of having been the victim of a reported crime, you may qualify for coverage of psychotherapy or counseling services. If the crime occurred in BC, you can contact the program toll free at 1-866-660-3888, or in the Lower Mainland at 604-660-3888 for more information.

Other agencies or programs

Access to psychological services can also be arranged through WorkSafe BC, First Nations Health Services, Income Assistance, Family Services of Greater Vancouver, Pacific Centre Family Services Association, Addiction Services, Community Mental Health Services, or local hospitals.





Find us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Linked In Subscribe to our blog's RSS Feed Visit Our YouTube Channel


BC Psychologist

Upcoming Events

There are no upcoming events.